WHAT did she say?

Monday, June 28, 2010

From the Why Me Files: Saturday's Win (and losses)


I finally got a Saturday off and since it is summer, after all, that brought great promise. Team USA was set to kick balls with Ghana and Jaz invited me (through a Duke email chain) to a lounge near the Hill to watch the game. The email said free beer and pepsi..some food and the game so I was definitely down. And that's where the adventure started....

I rode the train into the city because the Capital BBQ Battle was going on along with Carnival and I was not in the mood to deal with driving...and parking in the city. Things started off well. The train ride was relatively un-eventful until I missed my transfer and had to backtrack....so I got off an Union Station and started walking in what I assumed to be the right direction because I knew the address (or so I thought) and I'm great at navigating my way around. I ended up walking around for literally 35 minutes in the wrong direction only for Jaz and I to finally conclude that I was in NW while she (and the beer, food, and tv) were all in NE. My DC people know what that means...I was literally about 4 blocks away but after walking around in the hot arse sun, frustrated because being in the wrong quadrant NEVER crossed my mind...I grabbed the first cab I saw...who asked me if I was going in a certain direction cuz he had to go see his grandbabies...and then informed me that he had just turned off the air before asking me if that was ok....BROTHA...I'm sweating like Luther live in concert...are you serious? It didn't really matter I just needed to get him to drive me three blocks away so I could finally get to my destination.

I met Jaz at the door where the girl in front of us was showing an invalid ID but insisted that she knew a lot of people inside so the bouncer should let her in....NOTE: If you are trying to get into a private event you must NAME DROP...knowing "a lot " of people inside is going to get you no where. Nevermind her, we go inside where we are greeted and given a free team USA t-shirt (there's goodies too? This is definitely a win!) and we head straight to the bar to look at the "open bar"menu...which basically said that EVERYTHING was included. So we grab our first drinks...and scope out the place eventually settling near another group of brown people (yall know how we congregate). And since we can't just roll into a group of black folks without introducing ourselves...the intros began. Starting with "what do you do" and ending with the OBLIGATORY (and played) conversation about why they hate Duke (seriously, do you people think that YOU are the first person that WE'VE had this convo with and do you think we live for this ish?) The day progresses...we drink more... Jaz then goes and gets me a champagne with grenadine pomegranate juice...and that's where it all gets ugly.

In a moment of celebration, new friend subliminal douchebag who reminds me of someone annoying that I went to grad school with throws his hands in the air and UP GOES MY DRINK...down goes the glass (and shatters) and the girl next to me is having a breakdown. So, though I AM soaking wet....now from my drink after sweating like a pig...I try to console this chick who I am sure got cut by the glass (the only way to explain her fit)....no she just got wet trick please . Jaz has no idea what happened she just heard the glass and truthfully I'm more mad that he spilled my drank...back to the bar you go buddy. After all that calmed down- someone said something to offend the Morehouse brotha..so he moved across the room....ummm the US lost...and we headed back to Jaz's house to change for another party I planned to attend. BUT before we could get there...we realize that something was left in the apartment so we run up the escalator (I FALL) from the metro station and back to the house then back to the station...and I recognize some funny business goin on with my shoe....IT'S TALKING. WTF. I don't feel like going to change into the others, so I settle on the fact that I'll just have to drag my leg like I have a club foot for the rest of the day...thankfully Jaz has a brain and suggested that I stopped chewing my gum and use it as glue to fix my shoe...and she even donated her gum too. Friends? How many of us have them? TADAAAA- sho problem fixed.

We got to the party but it was too late...so we had dinner and girltalk. Perfect way to end the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment