WHAT did she say?

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

THIS kind of love


Yesterday I came across an article on the Philadelphia Inquirer's website (go figure) about this couple that was celebrating 80 years of Marriage! I clicked the link and there was this beautiful black couple surrounded by friends and family as they celebrated being with one another for 80 years! Do you know how long that is? The story was absolutely beautiful and from what I've read and seen in the pictures, they were truly a blessed couple to have stayed connected and committed so long. It was truthfully a great start for my Black History Month to see something so beautiful.

Fast forward to tonite. I went to church for bible study (our first of the year!) and instead of hearing a message, the pastor informed us that one of the deacons had passed on yesterday. I did know that this man had been in the hospital but because I missed last Sunday (frikin' snow), I wasn't aware of how he was doing. Sadly, Deacon Grier passed yesterday so tonight Pastor Jenkins decided to just dedicate the service to his memory and just let people share their thoughts and memory. Nearly every person that spoke (many were couples) mentioned Deacon Grier's commitment to his wife and his marriage and how that helped them in their own marriages. Mr. & Mrs. Grier were married for 61 years. Again....do you know how long that is? One man actually counted the number of days that is..it's something like 222 thousand. I can probably count on one hand the number of people that didn't mention Deacon Grier's example of marriage or his affect on their marriage.

I want that. Something that can be an example. Something that withstands the many tests of time. I feel that marriage is just the "in" thing to do for so many people and when it gets hard, tough, or you simply get tired of looking at the other person...it's "on to the next one". What happened to staying together with your mate? What happened to actually courting someone to decide if they should be your life partner?

No comments:

Post a Comment