WHAT did she say?

Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Double Agent's Day!

That's what I told my mom yesterday. I know that yesterday was father's day and of course I honored the men in my life, but I also thanked my mother for playing a dual role for my brother and me. Single mothers do A LOT. We all know this. And for mother's that work and make time to be active and nosy involved...the job is a big one. So yes, yesterday and EVERY father's day I thank my mommy.

But yesterday was about fathers and I could never let that day pass without letting my "dads" and uncles know how much I love an appreciate them. I sent cards and small gifts (which didn't make it on time thanks to USPS) and made my calls yesterday. All was well except when I called my dad. I didn't expect him to answer the phone and I had resolved that in my mind and heart so it was no surprise when I went to voicemail. What I didn't expect was for me to get all teary-eyed when I called him. I know that part of the reason that our relationship exists (or doesn't exist) is because of a choice that I made. I am my father's child. I weigh the consequences before making a decision and then I have to live with that. Fine. But over the past year, though I've accepted my choice to change my relationship with him, I realize how much I do actually miss my dad actively being in my life. To some people, it seems like an easy fix...just call and make up. But unfortunately, that's not how the either of us works. So I continue to pray that God works on both of our hearts and that in the right time, we will have a better relationship and I'll have my daddy back. Despite all of that, I am super blessed that he was a part of my life and blessed still that there are so many other men (my step-dad and uncles) that have been absolutely amazing to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment