WHAT did she say?

Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm 25! (from Miss to Ms. officially)


I planned to just stop by and do a quick post this morning, I didn't think that ILYT had actually posted a BDay message here. Tear.

I can't ever seem to get up early on days when I have to work, but this morning I got up bright and early! I replied to some text messages (yeah, I'm sure yall hate me for that), read some scriptures, spent some time in prayer and reflection, then opened my birthday cards (which literally left me boo-hooing).

I'm so excited about this next chapter. Many people look at a birthday as just another day. That's never been me. Birthdays have always been a big deal-usually because it meant a big party. But now (though it still very much means celebration) my birthday has new meanings and implications. At 25 I feel that I am literally turning another page and starting to write that next chapter. This one different from ones before. This one opens with prayer and thanks for grace and mercy and thanks for wonderful people. This one includes a focused goal. This one includes strengthening relationships with those close to me. This one is different.

My birthday has been great so far. I've gotten great gifts and had a wonderful dinner with friends last night. Small dinners with people who aren't socially awkward are pretty much one of life's best gifts. We laughed all night. We even went to Red Velvet for cupcakes. My dad's card said to "spend my birthday with people you care about and that care about you." And that is exactly what I did.

I'll leave with something else I know for Sure:

14. When People Show (or Tell) You Who They Are, Believe Them.

We all reveal our true selves in one way or another-actions, words, facial expressions, etc. Some of us are masters of disguise, however, and manage to deceive others about who we truly are. Eventually though, your true self will show. So it is important that we take people for who they are when they show that to us. We can't idealize them to being someone else and box them into that role. People will be who they are. Yes, people change. But some things are a part of a person and you have to accept that or choose not to.

I know we usually talk about this in a negative context, but it's applicable to all relationships. Your friends will show you how much they care. Believe them. Your family will show you how much they love you. Believe them. People will show you how much they genuinely support you. Believe them. Yes, we live in a society where people are only looking out for their star player. But, there are people who still care about others and when they show who they are in your life..believe them...cherish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment