WHAT did she say?

Monday, August 23, 2010

I think I've figured it out



You know how you are attracted to or interested in something but you don't really know why? Well, that's how I feel felt about my peacock obsession (though this chick was clearly more obsessed than me). Yes, I love the jewelry and the birds are gorgeous, but I couldn't put my finger on what has intrigued me about this little bird, has me wanting to create a little patio zoo to keep one as a pet, and (for a fleeting moment) had me considering this

then I snapped back to reality.


So I decided to find out what exactly peacocks symbolize. And the answers pointed perfectly to why I think they are the bee's knees are so interesting.

Peacocks symbolize different things in various cultures. In Christianity they represent immortality and incorruptibility of the soul. Hindu cultures use peacocks to represent kindness and patience. Buddhists believe the peacocks represent openness and also the ability to thrive in the face of suffering.

The buddhism association was the one that made the most sense to me and my attraction. They associate peacocks with openness because so much of their body becomes exposed when they spread their wings. I think we've all seen how open I am either though a real (non-internet based) conversation with me...or simply by reading the blog. But I'm not really afraid to bare all. Now sometimes I am selective who gets what information, but that's like having all of your money in one bank...just not a good idea. Secondly, they believe that peacocks represent the ability to thrive in adverse conditions which they credit to the peacock's ability to eat a poisonous plant (Himalayan Wolfsbane) and turn it into a nutrient within their bodies. We've all been through storms and I'm no different. But I think I have a tendency to handle things in a different manner. Not one to be broken...perhaps a little rattled, but always focused and able to carry on until the storm passes.

I know this is a bit random...but I found it all very interesting....you are now free to carry on with your day!


1 comment: